About the Authority
The San Diego County Regional Airport Authority was created on January 1, 2003,
as an independent agency to manage the day-to-day operations of San Diego International
Airport and address the region’s long-term air transportation needs.
The legislation that created the Airport Authority mandates three main responsibilities:
- Operate San Diego International Airport
- Plan for the future air transportation needs of the region
- Serve as the region’s Airport Land Use Commission – and ensure the adoption of land
use plans that protect public health and safety surrounding all 16 of the county’s
The Airport Authority is governed by an appointed
board of nine members who represent all areas of San Diego County and three
ex-officio members. Three members serve as the Executive Committee.
Public meetings of the full Airport
Authority Board take place at 9:00 a.m. on the first Thursday of every month on
the Third Floor of the Commuter Terminal at the Airport. Several standing committees
of the Board have been formed to better address key policy areas and develop items
for consideration by the full Board. They also hold regular public meetings and
- Executive Committee
- Executive Personnel and Compensation Committee
- Finance Committee
- Audit Committee
- Capital Improvement Program Oversight Committee
Airport Authority President/CEO Thella F. Bowens is responsible for management oversight
of the Authority, the Authority’s annual budget and a staff of approximately 370
The Airport Authority’s operating revenues for Fiscal Year 2012 were $153.6 million.
In addition, there were $47.6 million in non-operating revenues, net (primarily
Passenger Facility Charges) and $20.8 million in capital grant contributions in
Fiscal Year 2012. Operating expenses for the same period totaled $163.7 million.
The Airport Authority is funded through user fees, not local taxes.
The Airport Authority also serves as San Diego County's Airport Land Use Commission,
responsible for protecting public health and safety surrounding airports. It accomplishes
this by ensuring the orderly development of airports and the adoption of land use
measures that minimize the public's exposure to excessive noise and safety hazards
We will plan for and provide air transportation services to the region with safe,
effective facilities that exceed our customer expectations. We are committed to
operating San Diego's air transportation gateways in a manner that promotes the
region's prosperity and protects its quality of life.
Mastering the Art of Airports
- We recognize the needs of our customers come first
- We pursue excellence in all our business processes
- We conduct our affairs with honesty and integrity
- We provide a safe, secure, quality-oriented, highly efficient environment
- We foster an informed, productive, diverse, enthusiastic work force
- We believe that continuous learning and personal involvement are job responsibilities
- We believe that everyone counts and we count on everyone